Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Say yes to the dress

Shopping for wedding dresses is fun. The stores are beautiful. The people are nice.
But the hidden secret is, it is a little stressful. Is this the dress? They are all exquisite. Is my taste up to the challenge? In my old age, I tend to like a little bling. Shocking. I know. When I married 30 years ago, I wanted simple and understated. My daughter now wants simple and understated. But honey, this one has
crystals. See how they shine!!!! She doesn't want crystals. Okay. But honey,
this one has seed pearls. You love pearls!! No pearls. Okay. Honey, this one has lots of crinoline. No crinoline. Now at this point, I would sign up for crystals with seed pearls and probably some crinoline. Oh, I forgot....it's not my wedding. Oh honey, look at this one. It has lace. She actually likes the lace. But since she is wearing my veil, the lace doesn't match. Bummer. Who would have thought they would have so many styles? Mermaid is fitted with a flared bottom. My bottom flares enough without having to emphasize the monstrosity. Trashy is trashy. Do you really want to wear a lace up corset looking item for your wedding? I think not. Ballgown...need I say more. Folds and pleats and bows and ribbons and inverted pleats and pockets mixed with any combination of highneck, lowneck, strapless, and sweetheart necklines.... Our heads are swimming. The nice sales girl asks if she would like white, off white (not to be confused with ivory), ivory, cream, blush....you get the idea. It is not as easy as one would think. Just when we think we are about to hone in on the perfect dress, we have to consider the train. These too come is more lengths than you would imagine. The upshot is after visiting three stores, she has finally, happily said yes to her dress. She is a vision. She is beautiful. Does anyone have a tissue?

No comments:

Post a Comment