Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Start spreading the news

Technology is a wonderful but scary thing. People discovered the "big engagement" news on the internet via facebook. How about them apples?? People were calling and offering congratulations immediately. Stumped by the number of calls and the impossibly remote locations where some of our friends live, I had to ask. How did you hear the news? Facebook, friends on facebook, children on facebook. Meanwhile, I was raised back when dinosaurs roamed the earth and I was still composing my "list" of friends to notify. I wanted it to be special. I wanted to share the joy and hear their voices responding. Forget about it. It is my understanding that people even verify news by referring to facebook. For example, let's say I heard "John" was engaged. To be sure that nasty rumors weren't floating around, I would get on facebook and double check. If it is on facebook, then by golly IT IS FACT. Now in my day if Walter Cronkite said it, it was fact. So here's the deal, I've never been on facebook. Change is not my friend. It takes a long time for me to come around to the idea of things. Let's just take this blog. My daughter got engaged in December. In July, I decided to write the blog. Get it????? Processing new information can be challenging. I don't see any wires or antennae or carrier pigeons so how do words and thoughts and photos transmit through thin air? Facebook.
Maybe someday..........

No comments:

Post a Comment